Scholarship Program Overview
Since 1992, the New York Chapter has provided more than 30 academic scholarships to promising
young female students of Puerto Rican descent who are enrolled in an accredited college or in a training/vocational school. Despite many challenges, our scholarship recipients have become leaders in law, medicine, education, government, and the non-profit fields. NACOPRW NY’s scholarships are intended to support educational opportunities for Puerto Rican women while promoting the advancement of the community.
In 2017 each awardee will receive a $1,500 scholarship.
To qualify for a NACOPRW NY scholarship award you must:
- Be Puerto Rican female, by birth or descent.
- Be a resident of New York State (can attend college/school in another state).
- Be currently matriculated at an accredited educational institution.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0+ in High School, or college/university, or 2.5+GPA in trade/vocational school.
- Commit to volunteering up to ten (10) hours of Giveback over the academic year to NACOPRW NY events/activities.
2017 NACOPRW Media Kit
The 2017 NACOPRW NY Scholarship Application
Our Scholarship application process begins with this page. Click here to download the application form complete with embedded live hyperlinks for your convenience. You may share it others but be sure to follow the directions and mail it back to us - together with all the materials we have requested!
You may apply for the 2017 NACOPRW NY Scholarship online by filling out the questions below. The questions are the same as they appear in the downloadable form. What is different is that although your responses are received by us quickly you still must mail to us the same requested materials.
In order to be considered for this award:
- Applicants must submit a completed application package (utilizing the downloaded form above) postmarked or submitted electronically (using the online questionnaire below) by midnight on Friday, June 16, 2017. The materials we must receive by then includes:
- Current high school, college or trade/vocational school transcript.
- Birth certificate.
- Photo (2x2 passport size photo).
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from:
- a teacher/professor,
- an employer, professional organization, or community group, etc.
- A resume is strongly encouraged.
2. Semi-finalists will be notified by Friday, July 28, 2017.
3. Semi-finalists must attend an interview that will be conducted by the Scholarship Committee on the week of August 5, 2017 at a time to be determined by the committee.
If you choose to use our online application you must still:
- Send us a 250 word, typewritten or ink jet/laser generated, essay describing your career goals and explain what this award means to you.
- Send at least 2 letters of recommendation with the names, and email addresses of those who've earned your respect and their relationship to you (Coach, Professor, Teacher, Employer, etc.).
- Send a signed acknowledgement complete (with date) that the information you have provided (by mail and via our online application system) is true and correct to the best of your knowledge. You also promise to abide by the rules of NACOPRW New York Chapter’s Scholarship Award Program.
You may direct further questions to our Scholarship Chair.